State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs)
What are SCECHS?
On May 18, 2012, the Michigan Department of Education revised the Administrative Rules which changed SB-CEUs to State Continuing Education Hours and those hours to be clock hours. The MDE combined the terms to name the renewal credits State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs). SCECHs are State approved in-service, workshop, training, or conference credits that are used for the renewal of selected certificates issued by the MDE. SCECHs are the total number of instructional hours in a program. The eight (8) hour session would now award 8 SCECHs instead of .8 SB-CEUs.
Who needs them?
Anyone who holds the following certificates and licenses is eligible to obtain and use SCECHs toward renewal:
- School Psychologist
- School Guidance Counselor
- School Administrator
- Those who have the following certificates:
- Professional Education
- Occupational Education
- Provisional Education
Note: Social Workers cannot use SCECHs towards their renewal. Social Worker Continuing Education Units (SW-CEUs) are different from SCECHs. For more information on social worker certification, visit MI Social Work CE Collaborative.
Where are they housed?
Michigan SB-CEUs (now SCECHs) earned prior to January 1, 2010, is kept on file with individual sponsors. You will need to contact each individual sponsor for any program you attended that offered SB-CEUs to request an official transcript. For a transcript from Allegan Area Educational Service Agency, please contact Stephanie Bush. You will need to provide your current last name, along with any other names you earned credit under. A transcript will be mailed upon your request.
For any programs ending after January 1, 2010, your records will be in MOECS from all sponsors.
- MDE and AAESA require 100% attendance for SCECH programs
- No SCECHs will be awarded if any part of this program is missed; no make-ups are available
- You must sign in before the class --failure to do so will result in forfeiture of your SCECHs for the class
- If out-of-class assignments are advertised in advance, you must complete them in order to receive the SCECHs
- You are eligible for either SCECHs or College Credit, but not both as it is a duplication of credit
- Complete the MDE online evaluation in the SCR within 30 days of the email notification in order to receive your credit in MOECS
SCECH Award Process
- The coordinator uploads eligible attendees' registration information into MOECS when the program is complete
- Attendees are notified by email that the required online evaluation is available
- After completing the online evaluation, the SCECHs are awarded to your MOECS account. (You must have a MOECS account and complete the evaluation to be awarded SCECHs)
For additional information regarding requirements, eligibility and deadlines, please contact Stephanie Bush, AAESA SCECH Coordinator.
For more information about Teacher Certification, please contact the AAESA Human Resources Department.
- View all currently approved SCECH offerings across the state of Michigan.
Information on how to create or review your account, access and complete an evaluation, and view awarded State Continuing Education Hours (SCECHs) on an Unofficial Transcript.
Submit application form and all required documentation when applying for SCECHS. All on-line SCECH applications MUST be submitted for approval a minimum of 30 days prior to the start date of the offering. All items need to be sent electronically to Stephanie Bush at email@example.com.
After submitting an application, you will receive a program acceptance email once it has been approved.
Locating Your Personal Identification Code (PIC) Number
To find your Personal Identification Code, you can either ask your Human Resources department or look it up if you have a login to the Michigan Online Education Certification System (MOECS) system. To lookup your code:
- Log into the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS)
- On your profile page your six-digit PIC number will be listed
- Also check to verify your contact information to be sure it is all up to date
For more information, please contact Stephanie Bush, AAESA SCECH Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-512-7708.